What you should know about installing new power outlets and/or switches:
- Check all electrical outlets and switches to ensure that they bear the mark of a recognized certification agency.
- Circuit breakers can be reset using hand controls after the problem has been eliminated.
- Caution: Outlets may be connected to two different circuits of your homes electrical wiring system – test both outlets prior to proceeding with any electrical work.
- Outlets and switches must have proper cover plates that are in good condition to protect you and your family.
- Loose outlets and switches should be repaired.
- Outlets and switches that are warm to the touch, or hot, should be turned off immediately – and you should contact a licensed electrical contractor or electrician about this situation.
- Never force a plug into an outlet if it does not fit – and never remove the third prong from a plug to allow it to fit into an outlet.
- The Electrical Safety Authority recommends the use of a licensed electrical contractor or electrician for electrical work in your home.